Monday, June 22, 2015

From the Pages...My New Series

I love old newspapers!  I use them to find tidbits about the lives of my ancestors that records and documents do not reveal.  As I hunt through the pages from the past I often run across pieces that are just plain interesting, funny, or even shocking.  Without television or radio, newspapers were often the tabloids and cable television of their day.  Not only did they inform, they also entertained their readers.  This is the start of my new series, From the Pages, where I share some of the more interesting, but not exactly genealogical items I run across.  The newspaper sites that I most often use are Chronicling America, Genealogy Bank, and Newspapers.com.  

I love this one!  Only with the little blurb after the "birth announcement" does it become clear that the writer for The Ripley Bee was indulging in a little word play for the entertainment of his readers.  Well, I certainly hope that was the case anyway!

from the Ripley Bee
The Highland (Hillsboro, Ohio) Weekly News_Jun 16 1870_pg 1 col 8
http://www.newspapers.com

Here's another one that was originally published in The Ripley Bee.

from the Ripley Bee
The Evening Bulletin (Maysville, Kentucky) Jan_15__1904
http://www.newspapers.com
My grandfather and my father-in-law raised pigs, but I don't remember any of them to be nearly this size!  Now, I could be wrong and I hope someone will correct me if I am.  If pigs do get this big though, I want to know why the cost of bacon and pork is so high!  
By the way, I tried to find this lucky pig owner in the 1900 census, but had no luck.  I even tried different spellings of his name because I don't think it's spelled correctly in the article.  

I hope you enjoyed reading these as much as I did.  If so, let me know in a comment!

copyright 2015 Lynn Ann Wayson Koehler.  All rights reserved.




No comments: